[Air-l] music 'piracy' groups query

Logie john at logie.net
Thu Feb 8 16:40:37 PST 2007

Hi Chris -

Actually, if I am to be accurate, I should mention that Parlor Press
is housed at Purdue University, with Purdue prof. David Blakesley as
its prime mover. Mine is not the only book available for free
download there.

There's a nice 2003 statement of purpose/manifesto by Blakesley and
some colleagues at:

http://www.parlorpress.com/digital.html

and more books for the taking at:

http://www.parlorpress.com

. . . though David Blakesley will probably be especially encouraged
to keep putting books online if, at some point, they translate into
sales, especially direct sales from Parlor.

With all that said, there is ALSO something running rampant in
Minnesota, where Chuck Olsen just put his great documentary on blogs
called, naturally, "blogumentary" online for free at Google Video.
I'm not a native, so I'm not sure whether this is the "Minnesota
nice" that I've heard so much about.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8920472176280937346

So, for  the moment, Minnesota (Minneapolis, specifically) appears to
be the epicenter of free-for-the-taking scholarship/criticism on/
about the Internet. Unless you all have something more to tell us.
I'd love to see a whole passel of municipalities wrestling for that
title.

So, I'll show you my Creative Commons license if you show me yours.

Best,

John Logie
Associate Professor of Rhetoric
University of Minnesota