[Air-l] Web 2.0 - "the machine is us?"

Clifford Tatum clifford at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 13 18:06:23 PST 2007

Thanks everyone for the references! I'll certainly send out a
compilation to the list.

A couple of comments:

There's generally two approaches to this discussion, the technology/
functionality and the social. O'Reilly does a pretty good job
breaking down what is new with Web 2.0 from the functional/technical
perspective. Can Web 2.0 be accomplished with 1.0 technology?
Probably. What I think makes the 'idea' of Web 2.0 different from 1.0
is the social element (or user content). The technology matters too
but mostly for its ability to remove technical barriers to the social.

Consider the difference between Google and del.icio.us. Both provide
a means for organizing content on the web. And in both cases the
resulting organization is based on social elements, such that users
contribute to relevancy, meaning, and the definitions of things based
on their use, consumption, and contribution to content. Google does
this through tracking use; clicks, links, and a 100 other variables
that comprise their proprietary algorithm. Google uses information
behavior to organize Web content. User input is passive and (mostly)
unintentional in this case. With del.icio.us, however, user
contribution is active and intentional. We (and this gets to the
Wesch video) choose how to categorize content by tagging.  Web 2.0 in
this example has to do with the aggregate of user-organized content.
(I suppose I could just say folksonomy at this point).

Sure, if we break them down to their individual parts, the difference
between Google and del.icio.us can be minimized, if not rendered
insignificant. The significant differences are to be found in the
aggregate where organizational structure, meaning, definitions, and
plurality emerge. This occurs via Google page rank as well, but with
the use of a Google-defined algorithm and based on unintentional user
contribution. If we further consider that search engines are our
primary access to the public web, the difference between Google
search results and del.icio.us search results would be one example of
the difference between 1.0 and 2.0, in terms of content.

I think an interesting research question with regard to search is,
what does this difference mean?

Clifford