[Air-l] Web 2.0 - "the machine is us?"

Jill Walker jill.walker at uib.no
Tue Feb 13 07:12:04 PST 2007

I used this video to start my class on blogging last week - and yes,
it worked very well as a discussion-starter.

I think one of the most encouraging things about this video is that
it's made by an academic - Michael Wesch is an Associate Professor of
anthropology and is doing research on "digital anthropology". He said
he was writing a conference paper and felt that it would be so much
more obvious to use the medium to express the ideas - and certainly
that was a great way of getting some of these ideas out there. The
video's been the most linked-to video (according to technorati.com)
for the past week (over 5000 blogs link to it), it's the most viewed
this month on YouTube's science and technology category and has
nearly a million views.

That's pretty awesome for an academic presentation of any kind!

It's also an example of a presentation that performs that which it's
talking about - performative research, if you like. And while there
are clearly many things not dealt with in the video (it's only 4 and
a half minutes long) it grapples with some major issues - just the
claims and counterclaims about what paper permits as a medium does
are wonderful.

Does anyone know of other examples of academics who've made things
online like this that actually do have some academic content and that
have become wildly popular?

Jill

----
Jill Walker
Associate Professor, Dept of Humanistic Informatics, University of
Bergen, Norway
http://jilltxt.net