[Air-l] "911.gov" -- Social Networks + Disaster Relief

Dominic Pinto zorro at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 21 10:25:26 PST 2007

--- Frank Thomas <news.ftr at free.fr> wrote:

> Paul DiPerna wrote:
> > I came across a Technology Review article this
> morning which might
> > interest some folks here who look at the
> intersection of ICTs and
> > public policy.
> >
> > "Type 911.gov: Two scientists think that social
> networks can improve
> > disaster relief"
> >
> > https://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/18196/
> >
> > Here is another backgrounder I found on BBC's
> site-
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6364301.stm
> >
> > I definitely like the intent behind this kind of
> initiative.
> > Unfortunately the devil is always in the details
> when such a great idea
> > enters a political process, and then actual
> implementation.

<snip>

Also worth bearing in mind that many - including the
emergency services in New Orleans - were wholyy
overdependent and reliant on mobile wireless.  And
seemingly suprised that when the power went (base
stations and towers were surrounded by or even under
water, electricity network shorted out, isolated, or
cut), that their radios, cellphones, satellite phones,
etc also stopped working (even before their batteries
ran down).

D.

Dominic Pinto BA MIEEE MCMI MRi FRSA
http://www.ecademy.com/user/dominicpinto