[Air-l] web 2.0 discussion references

Clifford Tatum clifford at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 22 20:32:54 PST 2007

Thanks everyone for the lively discussion of Web 2.0. It is always
fascinating when “definition” discussions occur on this list.

My assessment of the discussion, along with the materials provided,
is that the term Web 2.0 is inadequate to describe the phenomena that
many of us are grappling to articulate in our research. That said, I
would also argue that there is a collection of socio-technical
interaction that warrants new analysis and perhaps a new category.
The other competing collector-name(s) referenced in this discussion
were “social software” or “social networking”. I like these better
than web 2.0 but they still seem lacking.

It is interesting to recall a number of similar definition debates on
AoIR-l over the last couple of years. For example, there were
significant challenges to terms such as cyberspace, Internet, Web,
Internet research, new media, and probably many more. I suspect these
terms are still somewhat contentious. However, this fluid state of
meaning (and/both) is in part what makes the field so interesting.

See below for a list of citations/references/blogs submitted in the
Web 2.0 discussion.

Clifford

---
Allen, C. Life With Alacrity. Retrieved February 22, 2007, from
http://www.lifewithalacrity.com/.

Beauvisage, T. Characterizing Users’ Paths Through the Web. Retrieved
February 22, 2007, from http://thomas.beauvisage.free.fr/pubs/
Beauvisage_These_ParcoursWeb.pdf.

blip.tv (beta). Retrieved February 22, 2007, from http://blip.tv/.

overstating the significance of Web 2.0. Retrieved February 22, 2007,
from http://groupblog.workasone.net/archives/2007/02/overstating-the-
significance-of-web-20.

Chang, H. (2004). Inventing Temperature: Measurement and Scientific
Progress. Clarendon Press. Retrieved February 22, 2007, from http://
www.amazon.com/dp/0195171276.

Digital Ethnography. Retrieved February 23, 2007, from http://
mediatedcultures.net/ksudigg/.

Fuller, M. (2003). Behind the Blip: Essays on the Culture of
Software. Autonomedia. Retrieved February 22, 2007, from http://
www.amazon.com/dp/1570271399.

Kleinrock, L. The Day the Infant Internet Uttered its First Words.
Retrieved February 22, 2007, from http://www.lk.cs.ucla.edu/LK/Inet/
1stmesg.html.

Kuhn, T.S. (1996). The Structure of Scientific Revolutions.
University Of Chicago Press. Retrieved February 22, 2007, from http://
www.amazon.com/dp/0226458083.

MacLeod, D. Kant take my iTunes off you | higher news |
EducationGuardian.co.uk. Retrieved February 22, 2007, from http://
education.guardian.co.uk/higher/news/story/0,,1972016,00.html.

Mackenzie, A. (2006). Cutting Code: Software And Sociality. Peter
Lang Pub Inc. Retrieved February 22, 2007, from http://
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0820478237.

McCloud, S. (1994). Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art. Harper
Paperbacks. Retrieved February 23, 2007, from http://www.amazon.com/
dp/006097625X.

McLuhan, M., & Fiore, Q. (2005). The Medium is the Massage. Gingko
Press. Retrieved February 23, 2007, from http://www.amazon.com/dp/
1584230703.

McLuhan, M., & Powers, B.R. (1992). The Global Village:
Transformations in World Life and Media in the 21st Century
(Communication and Society. Oxford University Press, USA. Retrieved
February 22, 2007, from http://www.amazon.com/dp/0195079108.

Mozilla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Retrieved February 23,
2007, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla.

Nielsen, J. Alertbox: Jakob Nielsen's Newsletter on Web Usability.
Retrieved February 23, 2007, from http://www.useit.com/alertbox/.

O'Reilly, T. What Is Web 2.0 - Design Patterns and Business Models
for the Next Generation of Software. Retrieved February 23, 2007,
from http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-
is-web-20.html.

Ourmedia Homepage | Ourmedia. Retrieved February 22, 2007, from
http://ourmedia.org/.

Scheidt, L.A. Professional-Lurker: Comments by an academic in
cyberspace. Retrieved February 23, 2007, from http://www.professional-
lurker.com/.

Shirky, C. Clay Shirky's Internet Writings. Retrieved February 22,
2007, from http://www.shirky.com/.

Social network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Retrieved February
22, 2007, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_networking.

Turkel, W. Digital History Hacks: Exploratory Bibliography. Retrieved
February 22, 2007, from http://digitalhistoryhacks.blogspot.com/
2007/01/exploratory-bibliography.html.

Turner,  A. In Which I Eat Crow...Sort of., redheadedstepchild.org.
Retrieved February 22, 2007, from http://redheadedstepchild.org/
destruct/?page=001753.

Van Couvering, E. Web behaviour: Search engines in context. Retrieved
February 22, 2007, from http://personal.lse.ac.uk/vancouve/thesis/
navigation.pdf.

VideoDL.org - Download Online Video (Google Video, YouTube etc) in a
Flash! Retrieved February 22, 2007, from http://www.videodl.org/.

Web 2.0 Off the PC. Retrieved February 22, 2007, from http://
www.iiszone.ziffdavis.com/article/Web+20+Off+the+PC/197323_1.aspx.

Wesch, M. Web 2.0 ... The Machine is Us/ing Us. Retrieved February
22, 2007, from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gmP4nk0EOE.

Winer, D. History of Frontier. Retrieved February 22, 2007, from
http://dave.editthispage.com/historyOfFrontier.

[NOTE: bibliography complied using Zotero, an endnote-type plugin for
Firefox - http://www.zotero.org/]