[Air-l] Barriers to participation?

Beverly Trayner btrayner at esce.ips.pt
Sun Feb 25 09:44:55 PST 2007

Angelina .. I co-authored a chapter with Sally Mavor which was about
barriers to participation in international communities.

We followed a non-English speaking participant in a post-graduate
course run by a British University. As we say in the intro: "The
apparent ease with which a student can join an international learning
community often masks discoursal, socio-political and cultural
barriers to effective participation and learning."

Mavor, S. & Trayner, B. (2003) “Exclusion in international online
learning communities”. In Electronic Learning Communities: Current
Issues and Best Practices, Reisman, S. (eds) Conneticut: Information
Age Publishing.

If international barriers interests you, I can let you have copies of
that chapter, and other related stuff, including...

Trayner, B., Smith, J. & Bettoni, M. (forthcoming) “Participation in
International Virtual Learning Communities: a Social Learning
Perspective”. In Web Information Systems and Technologies. Springer
Publishers.

Trayner, B. (2004) “Babel in the international café: a respectful
critique”. In Communities and Technologies, Huysman, M. Wenger, E.
Wulf, V. (eds) Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers. Available for
download from this page. (available for dowload - http://iisi.de/
114.0.html)

Cheers
Bev