[Air-l] IPTV Uses and Gratifications - Looking for other populations to collect data from

Katy E. Pearce kpearce at umail.ucsb.edu
Wed Feb 14 13:00:43 PST 2007

IPTV Uses and Gratifications - Looking for other populations to collect data
from

The following online survey will be conducted with college students and we
are interested in comparing results with other college student populations.
Thus, we would appreciate any help accessing college student samples (or
youth between the ages of 18 - 25).  Our goal is to have all data collected
by June 1, 2007 as we will also be submitting a proposal.

We will provide a link to the online survey and can assist with any
Institutional Review Board (i.e., Human Subjects Committee) requests.  Also,
if extra credit will be given to students, we will be sure to capture
relevant information (e.g., student name and/or ID number, course,
instructor, etc.).  Please let us know what information you need.  In
exchange for your assistance, we will provide access to the complete data
set and are open to future discussion of co-authoring papers.

ABSTRACT: Research suggests that increased use of the internet can displace
television viewing (Ferguson & Perse, 2000; Lee & Kuo 2002).  However, now
that television and video content can now be accessed via the internet, are
young adults accessing this content online instead of accessing television
programming via the traditional television set?  Indeed, many networks now
provide free access to television programs via the internet.  Other forms of
television and video content can also be accessed online for free and at the
viewer's leisure (e.g., extra unaired footage on program websites; clips for
upcoming episodes; video content posted by internet users).  Are these forms
of IPTV content (i.e., television content that, instead of being delivered
through traditional formats and cabling, is received by the viewer through
the technologies used for computer networks) being utilized by young adults,
particularly college students?  If so, what needs are fulfilled by this new
media hybrid?  Utilizing the uses and gratifications perspective, we posit
three research questions:

RQ1:	What are the primary needs fulfilled by viewing IPTV content?
RQ2:	Does viewing IPTV content displace traditional television viewing?
RQ3: 	Are demographic characteristics, television access/use, internet
access/use, and leisure time related to increased viewing of IPTV content?

If you have further questions, feel free to contact us.  Thank you for your
time and we appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Best regards,
Beverly Bondad-Brown (bbondad at umail.ucsb.edu)
Katy Pearce (kpearce at umail.ucsb.edu)

Ph.D. students