[Air-l] Web 2.0 - "the machine is us?"

Alexis Turner subbies at redheadedstepchild.org
Wed Feb 14 13:12:25 PST 2007

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Ulf-Dietrich Reips wrote:

::Ok, so we agree it is NOT a new paradigm. Meaning that the 1.0 to 2.0 step
::naming suggestion is a Microsoft like overblown pseudo-signification marketing
::attempt. Sure, "Web 1.7" wouldn't catch on as much.

Absolutely.

::We also agree that there
::is progress, and that some of the progress is just necessary follow-up from
::sheer growth. We simply didn't need what is seen as helpful now.

Yes.

::Do we agree that the basis for HTML already was the idea of separating form
::and content?

Yes, but I think you are oversimplifying, insofar as the IDEA of HTML was
separating form and content, but the REALITY of HTML was far, far different.
Then they went and put in the <font> tag and it all went to hell from there.

Doing that, imho, was sensible at the time - the web simply didn't allow people
to flex their muscles as much as they wanted.  But once we went down that road,
we realized it was a bit of a mistake and had to go back to fundamentals (HTML
strict), but with the added flexibility (CSS) to accomplish the original
goal with a little more room to maneuver.

::And do we agree that early on the Web wasn't entirely built in
::static Web pages (remember Frontier? -->
::http://dave.editthispage.com/historyOfFrontier )?

Well, I don't actually *remember* frontier since I was...oh...about 17 at the
time it experienced its first death and didn't start writing my own webpages (by
hand...natch) until 1997.  :) Personal history aside, I am not sure what
Frontier has to do with the current discussion, because, while available, it wasn't
exactly prevalent.  It had no mind boggling impact, in other words, from what I
can tell.  Sure, it paved the way for future CMSes, and probably influenced
more than one developer along the way.  But...I dunno - a little influence will
get you into a nice dinner at the Ritz.  What's your point exactly?  To be
honest, it seems like you are hell bent on getting me to agree to some sort of
slippery slope scenario where I ultimately agree that the modern
iteration of the web  is exactly the same as a library card catalog.  I don't
believe that and I don't plan on agreeing to it that easily.  If I gain 1 pound,
I'm still thin.  If I gain another.  Still thin.  I start to look a little jowly
after 20, though.  The web, likewise, looks a little different after so many
years of development.  Why get hung up on terminology...1.0 v. 2.0?  Has our
approach matured, or hasn't it?

::  And do we agree that the Web
::has many more functions than just searching?

Yes, and thank you and others for reminding me.  I will admit freely to getting
a little sucked in to my own personal web worldview and personal interests,
which involve it as an information resource.  It is good to be reminded
occassionally that it does other things, too (I believe Lois pointed this out
best of all).  So, I'll admit it - I have a hard time grokking how a person
could use the web without having to "search" for something at some point,
whether it be a research paper, tidbit of information, or a friend.  In what
kind of scenario would it be possible for a person to use the web without having
to find something?  A friend gives them a URL to something, and they live in
that corner of the web for the rest of their lives, never entering any kind of
search term...ever?  How do they make new friends on the web?

::Personally, I see one stream of development, with great ideas rocking the
::waters here and there and then. Looking forward to what comes next!

So, in other words, your only real complaint is the actual terminology "web
2.0?"  Does that mean that you do or do not believe that certain tasks are
approached with a different mindset or set of tools...on a large scale?  If yes,
how significant is that difference?  (In other words, how many pounds does the
web have to gain before you feel that it no longer looks exactly the same as it
used to?)

Thanks for the good discussion....
-Alexis

::--u