[Air-l] what does this Statistics Canada index mean?

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 18 01:28:56 PST 2007

sorry for any cross posting that may have occurred to you being on
the same lists that I choose. Your intelligent. What more can I say? lol

In my helping consumer survivors of mental health services with
getting computers I am quoting a Statistics Canada index for consumer
computer prices. I don't work on this at Statistics Canada.

more info on this here.

http://www.statcan.ca/cgi-bin/imdb/p2SV.pl?
Function=getSurvey&SDDS=5032&lang=en&db=IMDB&dbg=f&adm=8&dis=2

and in French here

http://www.statcan.ca/cgi-bin/imdb/p2SV_f.pl?
Function=getSurvey&SDDS=5032&lang=en&db=IMDB&dbg=f&adm=8&dis=2

my question for you to discuss is the meaning to this index and if
you know of any other states that use a similar official statistic
that measures consumer computer prices.

The index I believe was set to 100 in 2001 and is in October 2006 at
16. I have been saying this means 100 dollars in 2001 bought you so
much computer, and you can get the same amount of computer for 16
dollars these days. Am I very wrong or only sightly wrong? The prices
at computer shops seem to reflect a downward trend. The iBook in 1999
was 2000 CND dollars and now a similar model in Apples lineup the
Macbook costs about 1000 CND dollars. I know this might be only one
example drawn from the aggregate index

Peter Timusk,
B.Math statistics (2002), B.A. legal studies (2006) Carleton University
Junior Statistical Clerk Statistics Canada
Systems Science Graduate student, University of Ottawa (2006-2007).
just trying to stay linear.
Read by hundreds of lurkers every week.