[Air-l] Wikipedia's Technological Obscurification: Three ways Wikipedia keeps 99% of the population from participating

Martin Garthwaite marting at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 03:37:54 PST 2007

Jason's view is interesting, but I feel that an extreme view of the
situation has been taken and open to critical debate; and to draw the
conclusions that he does, certainly needs further research.

My research interests are media literacy in a new media world, and in the
context that Jason looks at i.e. the code / markup language that Wikipedia
uses. I'm particularly interested in how people appropriate these literacy's
and skills.

To say that this code is a barrier to participation is partially true, but I
would argue any language is a barrier to participation.

Wikipedia is an open project and I'm sure that if there was the need to
create an editor some enterprising individual or group would create
something perhaps as a firefox plug in (as firefox is also extremely open).

Is this a classic supply and demand question? Is there so little interest in
such an editor that one has created one? Clearly the size of the wikipedia
project is so large that using the code and mark up has not stopped a lot of
people participating.

Martin Garthwaite