[Air-l] Web 2.0 - "the machine is us?"

Paul Jones pjones at metalab.unc.edu
Tue Feb 13 13:51:11 PST 2007

I would like a non-circumventing solution ;->

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Alex Halavais wrote:

+On 2/13/07, Paul Jones <pjones at metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
+> I am sad however that the presentation itself is only available on youtube
+...
+> the work is listed as CC license but is only available in non-free formats
+> that don't allow for easy remix.
+
+Well, not *easy* perhaps, but certainly not impossible. There are a
+variety of scripts for Firefox that allow for the easy downloading of
+video from YouTube. Or you can use one of the online services, e.g.:
+
+http://www.videodl.org/
+
+This will yield a flash video (flv) file that still needs to be
+transcoded before it is easily manipulable. I use SUPER on a PC,
+usually, but VLC, can perform much the same function on a Mac.
+
+So, an extra step required in there, but one that I seem to be using
+quite a lot lately to make use of materials found on YouTube. Fairly
+straightforward to convert to Quicktime to include in a presentation,
+etc.
+
+Alex
+
+--
+//
+// This email is
+// [X] assumed public and may be blogged / forwarded.
+// [ ] assumed to be private, please ask before redistributing.
+//
+// Alexander C. Halavais
+// Social Architect
+// http://alex.halavais.net
+//
+
+Join the Association of Internet Researchers:
+http://www.aoir.org/
+

                             Paul Jones
 "Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation." Alasdair Gray
                http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/blog/
  pjones at ibiblio.org   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071