[Air-l] Nteworked communications and access to public debate

lisa at global-partners.co.uk lisa at global-partners.co.uk
Wed Feb 28 05:20:21 PST 2007

Dear all

I’ve recently joined this mailing list and it’s great to see the wide range of subjects that people are working on.

I’m currently working on a research project that’s concerned with exploring the challenges and opportunities that networked communications present for the right to freedom of expression.  The website for the project is http://www.freedomofexpression.org.uk.

At the moment I’m working on the following question:

Do digital communications create new opportunities for the public to exchange information and ideas, and access and engage in informed public debate, even in countries where a free press does not exist?

I was wondering if anyone knows of any sources of information that would be relevant to this, in particular any research that has been done around the world on how different people use new communication technologies (eg. blogging, citizen journalism, networking), the impact this has on public debate and the implications it has for ‘traditional’ or ‘mainstream’ media.  Any pointers or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Lisa

--
Lisa Horner