[Air-l] music 'piracy' groups query

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Thu Feb 8 12:11:35 PST 2007

As you know these groups are very secretive for good reason. Law
enforcement is cracking down hard internationally on these groups but
these groups are more educated and mobile than their pursuers. Also look
at the Center for Digital Democracy and The Benson Foundation for some
studies. You can also look at The Pew Institute for some studies on
piracy. There are several groups supporting fair usage like the Center
for Digital Democracy. Are you ready for this one: the RIAA, the MPAA
are in a fight with the electronics manufacturers group because they
keep inventing devices that enable people to rip, copy and transfer
digital content. Good Morning Silicon Valley had a recently piece on its
newsletter/blog. The rhetoric was quite heated, and this controversy
looks like it will not end any time soon. In fact I am predicting it
will become more combustible. My rationale is the article on Apple's
website (hot news) by no other than Steve Jobs who directly pointed the
finger at the labels for forcing Apple and Microsoft to bundle their
downloads with DRM. Jobs listed three scenarios: keep the status quo
because its working, creating an open version of iTunes that could be
licensed to other digital store so that the Apple DRM could be shared
across different online stores or eliminating DRM all together and
having open downloads without DRM. Jobs stated that he favored
eliminating DRM because there are smart people who figure out how to
compromise DRM all the time and it is just too expensive anyway. Jobs
also makes the point that the big four music labels reside mostly in
Europe: SonyBMG, EMI and Universal. Many European countries are now
passing anti-iPod and iTunes laws even though it is the music labels who
hold the true power and they resent Apple's ability to control the
online market and sell iPods without the industry getting a piece of
iPod sales (see Warner Music Group head E. Bronfman). This is why the
Zune player is giving some of the proceeds of its sales to the music
industry.

See an article on 2/7 by Shel Holtz at shel at holtz.com - Labels? We don't
need no stinkin' labels