[Air-l] editing wikipedia

Andrea Forte aforte at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 27 07:10:22 PST 2007

I will be the first to celebrate when wiki markup disappears; however, I'm
pretty skeptical that this is a community-wide plot to dissuade the
non-technical from participating in Wikipedia. :)

Re: citation in wikipedia

Yes Yes Yes! Wikipedia could do a whole lot better here. Citation is one
of the most important practices on the site and there is *practically no
support for it.* This is partially a matter of social practice; however, I
agree that it could be encouraged through the design of the editing
environment too. In fact, we built a set of mediawiki extensions in 2005
that basically works as a shared end-note style bibliographic database for
the whole wiki. Each reference has a page where the
quality/appropriateness of the source itself can be discussed. Every
article that cites the source links back to that reference page. Likewise,
the reference page has links back to every article that cites it-a reverse
citation index.

We did all this because I am working with high school students to
encourage information literacy skills and specific academic writing
practices. It would be great to see these kinds of skills encouraged more
broadly. Unfortunately, my code is woefully outdated...

Andrea

Andrea Forte
PhD Candidate, Human-Centered Computing
Electronic Learning Communities Lab