[Air-l] Web 2.0 – “the machine is us”

smork at itu.dk smork at itu.dk
Mon Feb 12 00:10:18 PST 2007

Greetings,

For me it depends on what you want to do. From a business perspective the
o’reilly like definitions are good I think, but from a research/academic
perspective they are weakened by their lack of history.
I have spent a lot of time critiquing the web2.0 term but at the moment I
think it is good at capturing the hype and popularity this use of the web
has reached. I see web2.0 as a part of a bigger phenomenon that has been
around for many years: social software. I haven’t got a clear cut one
sentence definition of social software, but when talking about this I
usually mix stuff like Adrian Mazkenzies Cutting Code, Matthew Fullers
Behind the Blip and some of the blogposts by Clay Shirky and Christopher
Allen.

Looking forward to the AOIR and especially to hear about what people are
doing on this. Perhaps we should try and organize a “social lunch2.0” for
people doing research within this area?

Best,

Søren Mørk Petersen

PS: Clifford, if you get any off list interesting refs. on this I will be
very interested, so please mail me.