[Air-l] techno-prat 'mob rule' or New Labour 'fascism'?

Dominic Pinto zorro at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 20 13:14:40 PST 2007

--- gazz <pmg at gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> Apropos an earlier debate on the
> http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ website and
> the current headbang over the hi-tec
> Orwellian/eco-friendly (depending
> on your point of view) road tracking scheme:

Air people didn't get into the debate directly - at
least not with mysociety.com and Tom Steinberg.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/12/road_pricing_petition_response/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/guardianpolitics/story/0,,2015173,00.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/14/letters_1302/

> By the way, your Oyster card already 'phones home'
> with every move you
> make on public transport and I don't recall much
> public excitement about
> that:

Neither for Oyster nor for that matter the London
Congestion Charge database (or for that matter the
others that are being linked like driver vehicle
licensing, vehicle taxation, testing, insurance .... )
was it explicitly or publicly debated that 'you' could
be tracked by the record of your individual journeys
on the bus and Underground network.

And as yet Oyster isn't directly feeding information
into the middle of central national government, linked
to the putative ID National databases etc.

Information is available to the (local) police - maybe
also to the political police (aka Special Branch), and
intelligence and counter-intelligence, Revenue and
Customs, and indirectly the brothers.

Dominic Pinto BA MIEEE MCMI MRi FRSA
http://www.ecademy.com/user/dominicpinto

e-m: dominic.pinto at ieee.org