[Air-l] Parental consent

Charles Ess cmess at drury.edu
Wed Jan 31 05:01:43 PST 2007

> My IRB has indicated openness to collecting consent online if a suitable
> process can be identified. I would love to hear suggestions.

Hi Denise,

The AoIR ethical guidelines (www.aoir.org/reports/ethics.pdf) include some
suggestions - including protocols - from AoIR-ist Leslie Regan Shade
(oriented towards the Canadian context) that should be useful to you.
(Part VII. Addendum 3: Sample consent forms (courtesy, Leslie Regan Shade)
for parents and children involved in Internet research. pp. 23f.)

A number of U.S.-based AoIR-ists have written thoughtfully and perceptively
about online research with adolescents as well.  If they do not respond to
your query over the next few days with some specific suggestions appropriate
for a U.S.-based IRB, I'll contact them and request permission to forward to
you offlist their names and email addresses.

g'luck - and let us know what you find out!

cheers,
- charles

Distinguished Research Professor,
Interdisciplinary Studies <http://www.drury.edu/gp21>
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave.              Voice: 417-873-7230
Springfield, MO  65802  USA       FAX: 417-873-7435
Home page:  http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html

Information Ethics Fellow, 2006-07, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, UW-Milwaukee
<http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/SOIS/cipr/ethics.html>
Co-chair, CATaC conferences <www.catacconference.org>
Vice-President, Association of Internet Researchers <www.aoir.org>
Professor II, Globalization and Applied Ethics Programmes
<http://www.anvendtetikk.ntnu.no/pres/bridgingcultures.php>

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23