[Air-l] Interesting Article in the BBC

Ingbert Floyd ifloyd2 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 15:59:29 PST 2007

Perhaps most of you have seen this already, but there was a short
article in the BBC about how some computer science teachers at West
Nottinghamshire College modded Neverwinter Nights in order to teach
students basic math and literacy.  I thought it was interesting
because of the success they had (or at least claim to have had), but
disturbing that they had to teach teenagers how to compute area:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/6254989.stm

I think Neverwinter had networked multiplayer (I never really played
the game); I wonder if they left that in and if it has become a place
where social, informal learning occurs as students try to complete
tasks...

Ingbert

Check out the unofficial GSLIS Wiki:

http://www.gslis.org/

Tell me what you think, if you find it useful, or if you have any
ideas for how to organize it better.  And if you feel comfortable
doing so, I heartily encourage you to contribute content!

This GSLIS is the Graduate School of Library and Information Science
at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign.