[Air-l] internet community breakups

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 23 05:28:40 PST 2007

Amy Bruckman has addressed the dissolution of a virtual community, see:

Bruckman, A. & Jensen, C. (2002). The mystery of the death of Mediamoo: Seven
years of evolution of an online community In K. A. Renninger & W. Shumar,
Building Virtual Communities: Learning and Change in Cyberspace (pp. 21-33).
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Michelle Kazmer addresses a slightly aspect -- is the process of leaving --
'disengaging' -- from virtual communities.

Kazmer, M. M. (in press). Beyond C U L8R: Disengaging from online social
worlds. New Media and Society.

Haythornthwaite, C., Kazmer, M. M., Robins, J. & Shoemaker, S. (2000).
Community development among distance learners: Temporal and technological
dimensions. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 6(1). http://www.
ascusc. org/jcmc/vol6/issue1/haythornthwaite. html

/Caroline