[Air-l] Question re Size of Data Set...

Paul Teusner paul.teusner at rmit.edu.au
Wed Jan 24 15:47:53 PST 2007

Hey Matthew,

I'm a PhD student too and I'm going through exactly the same problem.

For me the question isn't so much about the amount of data but how are you
going to use it. How in depth is your analysis going to be into the text and
how much discussion do you want to generate out of it?

>From those two questions I'd perhaps want to ask if you're doing any
discourse analysis in your ethnographic research (and I'm only assuming
you're doing an ethnography of the message board because you mentioned
Hine). If you are, then the analysis could get quite deep, and all those
"chat" type posts will be useful. You might want to check out Ron Scollon
and Suzie Wong Scollon's book, Nexus Analysis to help you out there.

>From the looks of it, in my small postgrad opinion, you could do a lot with
the sample you have. I would just go with what you have.

paul teusner
fishers, surfers and casters
http://teusner.org/