[Air-l] MySpace readings

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Wed Jan 17 12:25:23 PST 2007

If you're looking for a more pop-ish article on MySpace and socio-
cultural life, i published my (paper) speech at AAAS last year
entitled "Identity Production in a Networked Culture: Why Youth Heart
MySpace": http://www.danah.org/papers/AAAS2006.html

I also have a new (not-yet-published) article that builds off of this
speech, situating my arguments presented here in theories of public
life and identity.  This is currently working its way through the
publication process (it has a home, just not a publication date or a
final edit).  This article addresses the role that social network
sites (primarily MySpace) play in American teen social life with a
focus on the significance of participating in public life, both
mediated and unmediated.  I'm happy to share it off-list with
scholars and profs for research and teaching purposes.  My only
request is that you don't forward it without my permission and you
don't post it online.

The article published in _First Monday_ is much more about the
practice of "friending" in a variety of different social sites.  It's
useful for understanding why a MySpace "Friend" is not the same as a
personal "friend."

In case it's of use, i have also collected all of the peer reviewed
articles on social network sites that i know of on my blog: http://
www.zephoria.org/thoughts/archives/2006/08/19/research_on_soc.html
-- i update this when i hear of new articles.  (If you know of some,
please let me know!)

danah