[Air-l] MySpace sued again ...

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Thu Jan 18 19:52:11 PST 2007

>>> For those of you who are knowledgeable about policy: Why isn't My
>>> Space viewed as a common carrier, and hence not responsible for the
>>> content that is shown on its pages? Or is it, and this whole lawsuit
>>> is just, well, B.S.?
>>
>> The presence of advertising (of their own) all over MySpace's pages
>> would seem to be one of the first of many reasons to kick them out of
>> common-carrier status.
>
> I'm not sure I follow this. MySpace is clearly not a common carrier, but
> common carriers advertise and carry ads all the time. My telephone
> carrier(s) plaster ads everywhere they can think of.

They don't, however, interrupt your use of the service to shove their ads
at you.  At least, not usually.  ;)

There's a strong sense of non-neutrality surrounding myspace.  It is a
non-common-carrier service, as you say - the advertising plastered
everywhere just makes it more obvious that they're a for-profit business.

[Probably a faux pas on my part to mention advertising first as part of a
discussion of common carrier status - they're related, intuitively, to me.
Oh well.]

--e