[Air-l] MySpace sued again ...

Hugemusic hmusic at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jan 18 21:27:55 PST 2007

Thanks, Dan.  That helps a lot.

> The lawsuit is largely BS. MySpace is a media distributor for First
> Amendment purposes, and cannot be required to screen or purge content
> unless they have actual knowledge that the content passing over their
> system.

I gather this is the nub of the issue. In the original case (see
http://www.barryloewy.com/law-attorney-news-detail.php?Id=7), they claim:

"MySpace.com had full knowledge that sexual predators were contacting young
children on the website but did nothing to stop it. Additionally, the suit
alleges that MySpace.com fraudulently represents it has security measures in
place to protect its young members but, in reality, it does not"

Now there are 5 examples to use - all minors.  This is why I'm concerned
that regulators will step in and make the standards for "protection" so
obscenely impossible that not even MySpace will be able to meet them
satisfactorily ... Apparently, the offender in the first case is also
considering suing, claiming MySpace allowed the young girl to represent
herself (fraudulently) as older than she was (see
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1207043,00.html).

I wonder if there's any significance in the venues: the first case in Texas
and the other four in California, despite the assaults happening in Ohio,
South Carolina, New York and Texas ... thoughts??

Cheers,
Hughie