[Air-l] MySpace sued again ...

Alexis Turner subbies at redheadedstepchild.org
Fri Jan 19 10:39:21 PST 2007

I find that people have a difficult time conceptualizing what is really
occurring when these sorts of activities move into "virtual" spaces, even in
more traditional non-brick-and-mortar spaces like ads in a magazine.  I
therefore find it useful to draw a real world parallel.

If a coffee shop/bookstore/library/etc allows both adults and teenagers to use
its premises, and pedophiles happen to like it because it is near a Catholic
girl's school (and thus uniformed students happen to frequent it), would the
coffee shop be responsible if a pedophile struck up a conversation with a
student in the shop and this later led to an assault?  In other words, is
the coffee shop somehow *facilitating*, aiding, or abetting the aspects of
this event, including the illegal ones?  If so, does this mean the business
model of the coffee shop (allowing people to meet and talk) inherently
assists illegal activity?  What steps would the coffee shop legally, or morally,
be required to take to prevent this from happening?  If it is not *required* to
take any steps, should it anyway?
-Alexis