[Air-l] ICE-T again

Alexander Kuskis alex.kuskis at netscape.ca
Wed Jul 11 17:59:21 PDT 2007

I don't think we need to bother with the dismal science in understanding the
link between communication and commerce. They have had a close relationship
at least since the invention of writing in Mesopotamia during the late 4th
century BC. Denise Schmandt-Besserat has traced the origin of writing itself
to the symbols and markings made on clay tokens used for accounting purposes
in the 4th Century BC Middle East, roughly jn the area where Iraq is today.
See http://www.utexas.edu/utpress/excerpts/exschhop.html . Furthermore,
business has been quick to adopt every major communication technology, from
Gutenberg's printing press up to our own era. The Internet is something of
an exception in this regard, because commercial applications were explicitly
forbidden during its ARPANET and later NSF days. But business has more than
made up for it since. We need not invoke McLuhan's identification of money
as a communication medium itself to understand commerce as communication.
E-commerce, like e-learning, is simply a major application of ICT. Can
anyone name a communication technology that has not been used for commercial
purposes?.........Alex

Alex Kuskis, PhD
Adjunct Professor
MA Progam in Communication & Leadership