[Air-l] social network migration

Conor Schaefer conor.schaefer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 13:32:57 PDT 2007

Hear, hear! This is spot-on, in my opinion. However I must add that
aggregators /will /be developed and employed, despite the glaring
drawbacks Gail's mentioned, but that this process of aggregation will be
countered with a continued profusion of new social networking sites. A
fundamental attribute of these SNSs is that they are a "network," and as
such cannot possibly accommodate "the whole." Remember the fuss when
Facebook opened up, first to high school students, then the public? This
was obviously to counter the growing userbase of MySpace, but Facebook
users cherished its stonewalled nature, for whatever reason (I don't see
a need to get into that right now; I'm sure the listserv has addressed
it sufficiently in other contexts).

I know my point is primarily semantic here, but I find it very important
in terms of system theory. The network, especially in this context, is a
very abstract concept, but nonetheless I do not think its aspect of
being limited in applicability and diffusion can be altered; even if it
could, I do not think the population or userbase of these SNSs would
placidly accept the "homogenization," as Gail so strongly put it.

-Conor