[Air-l] social network migration

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Mon Jul 2 15:01:08 PDT 2007

Data portability, yes. But in the ideal I'd prefer a version where I
had all the info on a site *within my own purview* or at least open
source and community-owned (vs. a site owned by others such as FB,
NewsCorp., you name it) and could port it out to other sites in
pieces at will. Wholesale taking one's profile elsewhere doesn't fix
the problem of wanting to maintain differentiated presences on
multiple sites. Though we tend to conduct our studies in either
generic ('do you use social networking sites? yes or no') or
site-specific ('what's happening on myspace?') ways, many people's
experience is neither generic nor site-specific.