[Air-l] online ethnography

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Mon Jul 2 17:25:09 PDT 2007

The book Annette Markham and I are working on is not out yet, but
starting points would include:

Christine Hine _Virtual Ethnography_
Christine Hine _Virtual Methods_
Chris Mann _Internet Research and Qualitative Methods_
Annette Markham _Life Online_

Some examples of online ethnographies in addition to those embedded
in the above would be :

Lori Kendall _Hanging Out In The Virtual Pub_
my own _Tune In, Log On_

And that's just the books that are most relevant, there are many
articles published in the last decade as well.

In short, there's a ton of examples and explicit considerations of
the methodological considerations entailed in online ethnography.

Best
Nancy