[Air-l] online ethnography

Sue Malta SMalta at groupwise.swin.edu.au
Mon Jul 2 17:26:49 PDT 2007

Hi Lilly

Marg Kibby conducted an auto-ethnography using Y!Music (web radio).
Her study was recently published online in AJETS (Australian Journal of
Emerging Technologies and Society).  Whilst not exactly what you are
looking for, it contains some useful information and references that may
help you.  Here's the link:

http://www.swinburne.edu.au/sbs/ajets/journal/V4N2/pdf/V4N2-2-Kibby.pdf

Kind regards

Sue Malta

PhD Candidate
Australian Centre for Emerging Technologies & Society
Faculty of Life & Social Sciences
Swinburne University

>>> lilly nguyen <lillynguyen at ucla.edu> 7/3/2007 10:14 am >>>
Hi all-

I was wondering if anyone has come across articles and literature on
doing online ethnography. I know that AOIR has put together an
ethical document on doing online research more broadly, but has there

been any kind of exploration of the role and definition of
ethnography in online environments? It seems to me that there has
been work into online communities and online behaviors and practices
through the use offline ethnography, but has there been any kind of
consideration of what online ethnography would look like or be
defined as?

-lilly

Lilly Nguyen
PhD Student, Dept. of Information Studies
lillynguyen at ucla.edu