[Air-l] social networking migration

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Tue Jul 3 10:20:03 PDT 2007

Gail wrote:

>Nancy wrote: "There are also differences in what is even perceived
>as a social networking site in the first place. To my surprise, a
>number of people have commented in the last.fm forums in response to
>my survey that they never thought of Last.fm as a social networking
>site because of its central focus on music."
>
>I hang out online with a large international group of workplace
>educators.[...] Members of this group have a digital language that
>is representative of their cultural practices. I've found this
>language rarely includes definitions that are promoted among members
>of the AoIR listserve. For instance, Nancy suggested that user
>profiles are hallmark defintions of online spaces. Profiles are
>treated differently in work settings, including online spaces. These
>profiles are often times created by employers, as opposed to
>employees.

Just for clarification, my suggestion was that personal profiles with
visible friends are a hallmark of *social networking sites*, not all
online spaces. I guess that should be modified to *self-created*
profile pages in light of Gail's point.

The broader point about being sensitive to the differences between
our academic definitions of online media/genres ands the (range of)
definitions of those using them is important.

Nancy