[Air-l] ICE-T anyone

Ben Anderson benander at essex.ac.uk
Thu Jul 5 03:57:27 PDT 2007

Barry,

We've seen similar behaviour here in the rural parts of eastern
England. This is true for 'catalogue' style commerce which, as you
observe, is not really that different from much that has gone before
but also my colleague Becky Ellis has documented how e-Bay in
particular is supporting small/medium sized (SME) rural 'lifestyle'
businesses (often run by ex-urbanites) and also localised exchange
systems of various kinds. It may also be supporting 'buy local'
trends. The distinction between consumer <-> consumer exchange (using
money or otherwise) and small businesses doing the same is fuzzy
although the UK tax Department will say otherwise. We haven't (yet)
done systematic comparative studies which include urban areas to see
if your rural/urban dimension holds here but one thing respondents
told Becky was that receiving large high-value packages in urban
areas was often problematic - in rural areas there tends to be
somewhere to tuck them out of sight (and out of the rain - currently
a major issue!) and partly in consequence they are less likely to get
stolen...

Her reports and papers are here:

http://www.essex.ac.uk/chimera/content/pubs/allpubs.html

We're currently extending this work to start looking at specifically
trade-focused sites such as www.bttradespace.com with a view to
understanding how these and other sites/systems mediate (or not) the
various kinds of social capital.
  that are crucial to small businesses.

Ben

PS. have you tried Long Island Iced Tea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Long_Island_Iced_Tea (no tea in there). Tastes like cola, hits like a
hammer - the cause of several unexplained injuries in student days :-)