[Air-l] ICE-T anyone

Christian Fuchs christian.fuchs at sbg.ac.at
Thu Jul 5 04:27:24 PDT 2007

ICE-T:

I think joana made a good point arguing that for luhmann exchange,
markets, money, etc. are forms of communication, money is a general
medium of communication for luhmann (just like power, etc.).

i think one has to be careful - because exchange in modern society is
exchange of commodities mediated by money that hence becomes capital
that is accumulated. this also means that
icE-t is synonymous with ICTs for a capitalist economy. although you
could argue that one can have a more general notion of exchange (e. as e
of information), the concept of exchange is so much connected
linguistically to exchange value, markets, capital, profit, etc.

hence i consider the term ICE-T as uncritical and affirmative, it is
even imperialistic because it excludes all the forms of the gift economy
that are mediated by ICTs and focus on use values as gifts and not on
exchange values. i think a term general enough to encompass both the ICT
economy based on exchange value (and commodities) and the ICT economy
based on use value (and gifts) is needed. ICT hence is better than
ICE-T. i would even argue that there is an antagonism between the
internet gift economy and the internet commodity economy.

one can argue that gifts are not altruistic and require gifts in return
so that the gift economy becomes an exchange economy. that can be the
case, but is not automatically the case as studies of gifts have shown.

best
christian