[Air-l] social network migration

Michael Zimmer michael.zimmer at nyu.edu
Mon Jul 9 18:29:31 PDT 2007

Thanks for the question, Gail. Before I tackle it, two things to get
out of the way:

(1) I was imprecise when I said "Google is...working on a social
networking platform...".  The work is being done by grad students at
CMU (thus the URL I linked to), and Google is sponsoring the work.
Based on the CMU site, they seem to be taking some kind of
"direction" from our friends in Mountain View ("Directed to help
improve the online community orkut..."), but the research & demo is
the fruit of CMU's labor, not Google's. If anyone know what the
nature of these kinds of relationships are (contractual?), I'd love
to learn more. (Thanks, Eszter, for pointing out my error)

(2) As a preface to my response to Gail's question below, I am not a
lawyer. I'm just lucky to be able to work alongside some great legal
(as well as other non-legal) minds up at Yale's ISP. Further, I
haven't had the time to spend a lot of intellectual energy on these
ideas, so my answer will be kinda rough around the edges...

Those said...

The notion of businesses entering into agreements with other
businesses to share personal information about their users (and
online practices) is nothing new. I recently bought some items from
Babies R Us, and they required my phone number in order to process
the transaction. I decided to give it to them, and suddenly I'm on
the mailing list for a dozen various baby retailers (power of reverse
look-up directories). Businesses have been selling customer lists and
purchasing habits long before Amazon or Google got into the game.

In terms of legal issues, it seems that business (contractual)
agreements are often the ONLY thing regulating the flow of personal
information in these contexts. There are very few (U.S.) laws
limiting the flow of personal information among companies, and those
that do exist are for very specific data sets (library records,
medical records, video rental records, etc). The only limits are self-
imposed by the companies themselves, and more often than not, the
"privacy policies" and EULAs we sign off on are much more about how
they WILL share our information as opposed to how they will PROTECT
our privacy. IE, when we sign up for our "frequent shopper cards"
we're signing a business agreement that includes in the fine print
our acceptance of the fact that the data will be shared with "trusted
partners" or some fluff like that. Facebook has similar language in
their Privacy Policy: "We may offer stores or provide services
jointly with other companies on Facebook. ...and we may share
customer information with that company in connection with your use of
that store or service."

Unfortunately the norm is for the flow of personal information to be
much more in the control of business interests than the individuals
themselves. We have little choice in the matter that Choicepoint has
aggregated all of our financial information, and once we sign up for
our Facebook account we allow that business agreement to dictate how
Facebook will handle our information as well.

Gail seems to suggest that Socialstream's aggregation of social
network information from other services via "business agreements"
among the parties constitutes a "major change in practice from the
manner in which users are currently using Google services." Well, I
suppose so, but maybe not in the way Gail is suggesting. As more and
more users migrate to "Planet Google" to fulfill their needs for
information seeking, shopping, news, blogging, browsing,
spreadsheets, e-mail, chat, and so on, we provide Google singular
access to all that information in about our lives. Rather than being
dispersed among various services (both online and off), for many
people, all such activities are linked through a common Google
Account and/or cookie.[1] So, it seems that for users currently using
Google services, acquiescence in the collection of personal
information by Google has already taken place. Perhaps Socialstream
is Google's attempt to gain access to even more of "all the world's
information" that is currently beyond their reach. While users of
Facebook might presume that their actions aren't visible to Google's
crawlers (see [2] for a possible exception), a service like
Socialstream would mean even actions on non-Google properties could
be captured by Larry & Sergey.

This leads to what I see as the real possible danger here. Users of
various social networking services might be working on the assumption
that their activities on a particular site remain there - that they
are bound by the context of that environment and culture. By allowing
all that activity to be aggregated by some third party, any
contextual integrity of those actions might be violated. This is
similar to concerns about Facebook opening up their databases via an
API framework.[3] (A key design feature to avoid this is allow
individual users to opt-in to such an aggregation of their site-
specific activities by off-site services).

In general, I can see two different situations emerging form such a
social network aggregation schema as Socialstream: (a) users gain
more control of their social networking data. They have a single
repository of all their personal information, and selectively dole
out which sites get what pieces of data, etc. ; or (b) Single
entities (such as Google) obtain the power to aggregate users
activities that are currently dispersed across numerous platforms,
threatening the ability of users to control who has access to their
personal information. Which way the bottle will point once it stops
spinning, I don't know....

I feel I am now officially rambling, so I'll cut myself off at this
point. Not even sure if I've truly addressed Gail's concerns, but
that's my initial stream of consciousness rant on the issues....

-michael.

[1] Google isn't alone in capturing a wide array of user data for
their benefit. See this on Yahoo's recent SmartAds launch: http://
michaelzimmer.org/2007/07/04/with-smartads-yahoo-finally-joins-
googleas-a-threat-to-privacy/
[2] http://michaelzimmer.org/2007/05/29/facebook-allowing-profiles-to-
be-crawled-by-google/
[3] As discussed by me at http://michaelzimmer.org/2007/05/25/
personal-data-flows-and-apis/ and by Fred Stutzman at http://
chimprawk.blogspot.com/2007/05/facebook-platform-analysis.html

-----
Michael Zimmer, PhD
Microsoft Fellow, Information Society Project, Yale Law School
e: michael.zimmer at nyu.edu
w: http://michaelzimmer.org