[Air-l] Textbook Advice

Conor Schaefer conor.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 14:05:22 PDT 2007

What follows is from a colleague:

I used The Anthropology of Media: A Reader, edited by Kelly Askew and
Richard Wilk.  If I had to do it over again, I would give serious
consideration to Media Worlds: Anthropology on New Terrain, edited by
Faye D. Ginsburg, Lila Abu-Lughod, and Brian Larkin.

Both texts are somewhat similar in that they were the first good
readers in the anthro of media, and they came out at around the same
time.  The Askew and Wilk book is perhaps a little more suitable for a
class of non-anthro students or an interdisciplinary approach.  On the
other hand, I like the thematic organization of Media Worlds because
the editors develop subject areas of particular interest to
anthropologists (e.g., indigenous media, nation-states).

For the person asking, however, I would probably recommend taking a
look at Media Anthropology, edited by Eric Rothenbuhler and Mihai
Corman.  Despite the title, it's really heavy on the media (studies)
and light on the anthropology.  The collective focus of the readings is
on the way in which media are tied to culture (media as myth, media as
ritual, identity through media).