[Air-l] Google scares me again

Michael Zimmer michael.zimmer at nyu.edu
Tue Jul 10 17:49:05 PDT 2007

Hi Ellis -

Well, it is convenient when my grocer tracks my purchases through my
frequent shopper card so I can count on certain items remaining in
stock (assuming I'm not the only one buying them). And perhaps it is
helpful for Google to provide an advertisement for digital cameras if
I search for "Olympus Stylus". That's using particular bits of my
activities in order to taylor a particular service to me.

But it's a difference in kind when my activities that were previously
dispersed across various products, services, and locations can be
tracked an aggregated into a single source. And it's also a
difference in kind when that information is processed in order to
create some kind of psychological profile of what kind of a person I
am (not just what beer I buy or what I happen to be searching for
that day). Who knows what kind of decisions might be made based on
such an attempt to profile my psyche. (I'm thinking of issues raised
in: Bowker & Star's "Sorting Things Out: Classification and its
Consequences", Gandy's "The Panoptic Sort: A Political Economy of
Personal Information," and Lyon's "Surveillance as Social Sorting:
Privacy, Risk, and Digital Discrimination" )

And I have yet to see any documentation from companies such as Google
outlining precisely what information about me they collect, how it
might be aggregated across their products & services, and what kind
of processing they perform with said data, and with whom it has been
shared with. The typical "privacy policy" is purposefully vague on
such details.

-mz

-----
Michael Zimmer, PhD
Microsoft Fellow, Information Society Project, Yale Law School
e: michael.zimmer at nyu.edu
w: http://michaelzimmer.org