[Air-l] I've added you as a friend on Doostang...

Melissa Gregg m.gregg at uq.edu.au
Tue Jul 10 19:20:01 PDT 2007

On the contrary for me at least: thanks Heath for drawing attention to it. Doostang was new to me.

I'm currently working on a book chapter that theorises these sites that operate at the boundary between friendship and job networking (tho my definition of what constitutes such a site is very broad).

I'll be giving some initial thoughts at a seminar at Goldsmiths next week (details on my blog, here: http://homecookedtheory.com/archives/2007/07/08/london-calling-2/).

As a non-US person, I wonder if others might be able to send examples of more sites like these that are operating at the ivy-league and/or creative class end of the spectrum - noting the companies that are listed on Doostang, but also thinking of the exclusivity of sites like http://www.rightstuffdating.com. which you can't join if you aren't US-based. (I told my colleague who tried she should send a jpeg of the ivy growing outside her office window!)
I'm also very interested in non-US sites of the same ilk.

I guess my argument is you're hardly going to find a networking site for students of low-ranked unis, right? But in light of the recent thread, Facebook's relation to all this is interesting.

I'd welcome others' thoughts on or off list.
Cheers
Melissa

Dr Melissa Gregg
ARC Postdoctoral Fellow
Centre for Critical and Cultural Studies
Level 4, Forgan Smith Tower
The University of Queensland 4072
Australia

CRICOS provider number: 00025B