[Air-l] ICE-T again

Christian Fuchs christian.fuchs at sbg.ac.at
Thu Jul 12 04:09:45 PDT 2007

Mark Warschauer schrieb:
> Yes, CMC is losing steam to "online communication."
>
> It seems to me that ICT is itself losing steam to "digital
> technologies" or "digital media."  What do you all think?
> mark
>

>> Yes, not enthusiastic. Mattthew Allen came up with
>> NICT (network/networked ICT) and I think he got the
>> same reaction. ICT is good enough, CMC is still
>> available but seems to be losing steam.

i think that ICT is a well-established term and hence shall and will be
further used, but it is a vague term because also
a letter or a conversation is an ICT, but not a digital ICT.

hence i think digital technologies grasps an important aspect, but is
not suited.

for me it is important that ICTs are not just a medium of co-operation,
but digital networked systems that enable cognition (information),
communication, and (importantly) co-operation.

hence i would speak of digital networked CCC-T, but i don't think
inventing such new terms makes any sense - let's just stick to ICTs
because it is well-established.

christian

_____________________________

Univ.Ass. Dr. Christian Fuchs

Assistant Professor for Internet and Society

ICT&S Center - Advanced Studies and Research

in Information and Communication Technologies & Society

http://www.icts.uni-salzburg.at

University of Salzburg

Sigmund Haffner Gasse 18

5020 Salzburg

Austria

christian.fuchs at sbg.ac.at

Phone +43 662 8044 4823

Fax   +43 662 6389 4800

Information-Society-Technology:

http://fuchs.icts.sbg.ac.at

http://www.icts.uni-salzburg.at/fuchs/

Managing Editor of tripleC - peer reviewed open access

online journal for the foundations of information science:

http://triplec.uti.at

Forthcoming BOOK:

Fuchs, Christian (2008) Internet and Society: Social Theory in the
Information Age. New York: Routledge.