[Air-l] Is all Communication Commercial?

Alexander Kuskis alex.kuskis at netscape.ca
Sun Jul 15 10:22:19 PDT 2007

As a matter of clarification, I was not expanding the concept of commerce
"to its fullest reaches", but simply pointing to the fact that since writing
itself derives from a transactional impulse, the need to maintain records of
commercial exchanges using markings on clay tokens, that the connection
between communication and commerce has been a close one, at least since
classical times. The words "commerce" and "communication" share the same
Latin root word "com", meaning "together" and our word "communication"
derives from the Latin, "communicare", meaning "to impart, share" or "make
common"
( http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=c&p=20 ).

And to reply to Charlie Balch, my point was that every major communication
technology, from the printing press to the Internet has been adopted by
business, usually sooner rather than later, both for transactional and
marketing purposes. And yes, maybe that does make commerce "the oldest
profession", since the purveyors of what is usually taken to be the oldest
profession did engage in an exchange transaction for gain. That does not
mean there are not pockets of activity within every communication medium
that are antithetical to commerce, such as ham radio, open sourse software,
or the discussions on an academic list like this one. On the medium level,
business exploits radio, computer software, as well as most Internet genres
from discussion boards to blogs.

All of this is in support of my contention that we do not need a new
terminology such as the proposed  ICE-T, because the word "communication"
subsumes all commercial exchange, whether it be transactional or
informational......Alex Kuskis