[Air-l] Is all Communication Commercial?

Cameron Adams C.L.Adams at kent.ac.uk
Wed Jul 18 05:26:29 PDT 2007

No.

Just because all known forms of communication can be used for
commercial activities does not mean all forms of communication are
commercial in themselves.  As one poster has noted, "commercial" can be
stretched quite far, but the concept of commercial is rather knew in
human history.  Another poster noted that writing arose as an aid to
commercial transactions.  To the best of our knowledge this is true,
but writing is certainly not the first form of communication.  Further,
communication is not a human exclusive domain.  One would be hard
pressed to claim that the calls of chimps are commercially motivated.
Even broadcasting (an agricultural metaphor) was nearly abandoned as a
means of communication until someone applied the metaphor and saw the
potential for commercial needs.

I think that a better question may be "Is there a form of communication
that can not be used in a commercial context?"  Or something like that.

All IMHO, my good friends.

Cheers,

Cam