[Air-l] sources on gendering of technology?

Mia Consalvo consalvo at ohio.edu
Thu Jul 19 13:51:04 PDT 2007

hi Stephanie,
There's also the classic *Gender on the line* by Lana Rakow (1992), which
looks specifically at the gendering of the telephone. In addition to the
other excellent suggestions, I'd also point you to work by Donna Haraway,
and some of the chapters in a book I co-edited with Susanna Paasonen- Women
and everyday uses of the Internet.

Cheers,
Mia

On 7/19/07, Tuszynski, Stephanie <stuszyn at utnet.utoledo.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone -
>
> I was hoping some people could suggest some sources on the subject of
> gendering technology? I'm thinking in particular of research that looked at
> things like "women use the phone to gossip while men use it for business"
> and so forth.
>
> References that talk about using the Internet for "information gathering"
> versus social activity would also be helpful.
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephanie Tuszynski
> Visiting Assistant Professor
> Department of Theatre and Film
> University of Toledo

Mia Consalvo, Ph.D.
School of Telecommunications
Ohio University
9 South College Street
Athens, Ohio 45701
USA

740.597.1521

Program Chair, AoIR 8.0, Oct 17-20, 2007
Vancouver, British Columbia