[Air-l] sources on gendering of technology?

NANCY MCDONALD-KNWRTHY mcdonald-knwrthy.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jul 19 14:23:57 PDT 2007

I've also got some other interesting resources (that I'm actually working on this very minute):

One of the earlier researchers would be Sherry Turkle, and her ealy work (1995) on "Life on the Screen: Identity inthe age of the Internet" (book) NY: Simon & Schuster.  She's got quite a bit of ongoing work after that.

Another one that I have in my hands: Dale Spender's "Nattering on the Net: Women, Power and Cyberspace" (1995).

Another piece discussed in class today is by Michele Martin (1991) "The culture of the telephone" (ch 3 in Sex/Machine: Readings in culture, gender and technology ed Patrick D. Hopkins, Indiana Press.  Interesting concept: the early invention of telephone was intended for business, and women were not supposed to be using it at home; the enterpreneurs had no idea of the possibilities of this tool.. ;-)

Nancy McDonald-Kenworthy, TA
Education Policy & Leadership: Cultural Studies
121 Ramseyer Hall
Columbus, Ohio 43210
http://www.cstw.org