[Air-l] Is all Communication Commercial?

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Mon Jul 23 06:38:53 PDT 2007

I'd just say 'no', but then say... it varies as per the level of
analysis.  if you drive, as Bataille and Baudrillard and others do,
the location of exchange into the system of relations of
signification, then the mode of production, or the hegemonic strategy
of capitalism, or whatever you want to ascribe as ideological
function inhabits that exchange, so if you think that there is a
unified hegemony or a singular mode of production, and that is
commercial, then yes All communication is commercial  by relation to
the series of definitions that you could use.    So the level of
analysis above is the ontological level, existence as a sign requires
exchange, and exchange is structured by 'ideology'.  If you move out
to systems of knowledge, you can make the same argument, but you can
rely on different axioms.

I'm not really comfortable trying to locate this as an quantitive
question though...  i see it more as an interpretative and empirical
question framed by your axioms.