[Air-l] online identity resources

Tuszynski, Stephanie stuszyn at UTNet.UToledo.Edu
Mon Jul 23 14:20:57 PDT 2007

>I'm researching online identity (specifically how it's different online and
>how it's the same as offline) and would love thoughts on what the *key*
> resources are.

> Thanks!
> Miriam

Miriam - what precisely do you mean by "different online and the same offline"? Do you mean how for certain people their online identity is radically different than their offline one but for others there is no distinction? The latter part is pretty much my entire dissertation. ;) Or were you thinking of something else?

I've always found Judith Donath's work on identity very helpful to me (Donath, Judith S. "Identity And Deception In The Virtual Community."  Communities in Cyberspace. Eds. Marc A. Smith and Peter Kollok. New York: Routledge, 1999.)

Also Lisa Nakamura, of course (Nakamura, Lisa. Cybertypes: Race, Ethnicity, And Identity On The Internet. New York: Routledge, 2002.)

Stephanie Tuszynski
Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Theatre and Film
University of Toledo