[Air-L] [Air-l] online identity resources

Matthew Bernius mbernius at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 10:28:47 PDT 2007

> From: "Miriam Simun" <msimun at cyber.law.harvard.edu>
>
> Following the great list-off that followed the gendering of technology
> posting, I'm coming out of hiding with a question of my own:
>
> I'm researching online identity (specifically how it's different online
> and
> how it's the same as offline) and would love thoughts on what the *key*
> resources are.
>
> Thanks!
> Miriam

I'd start with Goffman's work, in particular "The presentation of self in
everyday life."

Also, I think the question needs to be refined further than simply "online"
(or for that matter "offline"). Think about which particular online
space/environment that you're looking at. Identity is tied to space/place.

- Matt