[Air-l] ICE-T anyone

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Wed Jul 4 18:33:25 PDT 2007

A group of us have been studying Chapleau, northern Ontario. We have
discovered that in addition to the I and the C of ICT, the folks there use
the Internet more than urbanites to find out about -- and to order --
goods. Sorta like the Sears or the Eatons catalog of old that served rural
areas. Some may even sell on eBay, etc -- we'll check on that this fall.

Altho you might argue that browsing the net for goods is "Information", it
would be a real stretch to say that actually buying and selling goods is
info (or comm). Hence, we propose the new acronym, ICE-T, for Information,
Communication and Exchange Technologies.*

Before I/we go too far with this, what do you think?

*Not to be confused with the actor/rapper or the tilting German train,
much less that heavily sweetened stuff I get in the US South.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICE-T

PS: Happy Canada Day to all.

 Barry Wellman

  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
  Centre for Urban & Community Studies           University of Toronto
  455 Spadina Avenue    Toronto Canada M5S 2G8     fax:+1-416-978-7162
  wellman at chass.utoronto.ca   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman
             For fun -- updating songs, movies and history:
             http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php
          Elvis wouldn't be singing Return to Sender these days