[Air-l] cfp: learning and research in Second Life

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Mon Jul 9 06:56:17 PDT 2007

apologies for crossposting, distribute as appropriate -jh

Call for Papers/Participation

Please join us in a workshop on learning and research in Second Life
on October 17, 2007 in Vancouver at Internet Research 8.0 (http://
wiki.aoir.org/index.php?title=About_IR8.0)

Paper Deadline August 15th.

Second Life(R) is a 3d virtual environment created by Linden Lab
which has captured the attentions of researchers and teachers from
around the world from a variety of disciplines.

This workshop aims to improve the understanding of Second Life as a
Learning and Research environment. It will bring 35 researchers
together to collaborate, discuss and workshop diverse topics related
to research and learning in Second Life. We will pursue a full-day
schedule in which participants will discuss their work and interests
on four different topics: learning in Second Life, integrated
learning, the contributions of research to the community and ethical
research methods. How can we better enable learning in this sphere?
How can we better enable research?

As a highlight, Robin Linden will give a talk to the group, and
members of Linden Lab will participate throughout the day.

We encourage researchers to submit papers and short biography to
slworkshop at tmttlt.com which will be selected and distributed amongst
participants before the workshop. First invitations will be offered
to those who provide full papers for consideration.

These papers have two purposes: first is to provide a common platform
for understanding our research and teaching and second submitted
papers may be considered for publication in an edited volume being
produced in relation to the workshop, or possibly in peer reviewed
publication derived from the workshop (these are currently under
discussion).

Subsequent invitation will be made based upon research/teaching
statement and biography.  If you are interested in participating,
please send an email containing your information to
slworkshop at tmttlt.com.

Decisions will be made by September 1st, barring incident.  There is
a limit of 35 participants at the physical meeting; the event will be
simulcast into Second Life.

We welcome professionals, faculty and graduate students to participate.

This workshop is sponsored by Linden Lab creators of Second Life and
is organized by Jeremy Hunsinger and Aleks Krotoski. Free lunch,
coffee breaks and the room is included in participation.

jeremy hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(www.cipr.uwm.edu)

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://www.aoir.org The Association of Internet Researchers
http://www.stswiki.org/ stswiki
http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/  LI-the journal