[Air-l] sources on gendering of technology?

Sara M. Grimes smgrimes at sfu.ca
Thu Jul 19 11:36:05 PDT 2007

Hi Stephanie -
Here are a few on technology that you might find useful:

Berg, Anne-Jorunn and Merete Lie (1995). Feminism and constructivism: Do
artefacts have gender? Science, Technology & Human Values 20(3): 332-351. •

Graner Ray, Sheri (2004). Gender Inclusive Game Design: Expanding the
market. Hingham: Charles River Media.

Kirkham, Pat (ed.) (1996). The Gendered Object. Manchester: Manchester
University Press.

Rothschild, Joan, Althea Cheng, Etain Fitzpatrick (eds.) (1999). Design and
Feminism: Re-Visioning Spaces, Places and Everyday Things. Rutgers
University Press.

Wajcman, Judy (1991). Feminism confronts technology. University Park: Penn
State University.

Shade, Leslie Regan (2007) "Feminizing the Mobile: Gender Scripting of
Mobiles in North America." Continuum: Journal of Media & Cultural Studies,
21(2).

Sara M. Grimes
PhD Student/School of Communication
Research Assistant/Applied Communication + Technology (ACT) Lab
Simon Fraser University