[Air-l] audio/video at IR conferences

Chris Ward drpoo at drpooville.org
Mon Jul 2 04:26:35 PDT 2007

I like the screencast idea synced with audio a lot! If the capability is
there to make this possible easily, then that seems the way to go.

 However, honestly, I don't think video needs to even be part of the
equation. Video is overkill, and adds WAY to much overhead in most
circumstances.

Usually, video only adds additional stimulus to the recording. If the
speaker is good, and knows ahead of time that he/she will be recorded
via audio, then words alone should speak for themselves. Just imagine,
before TV we only had TEXT, then before TEXT even, we only had VOICE.

When I listen to conference podcasts, I almost never feel the need to
actually see the slides they are talking from since the speakers usually
explain what I would otherwise be seeing in the slide-show if I was
physically present at the conference. In fact, when I attend
conferences, or when I attend some class where the instructor is reading
from slides, I try to avoid looking at the slides and simply listen.
That way, I am able to better understand what he/she is actually saying,
not what they are flashing in front of my eyes. I really don't like
slide-show presentations because they're distracting. Let the speaker
talk, I say, not the pretty pictures and bullet points.

With this in mind, I believe recording and archiving sessions of all
types should be very simple and straightforward, more or less anyway.
There are always exceptions, and since I have very little experience
with recording conferences myself, I'm not one to really talk, but I can
envision it being pretty elementary to get the basic audio recordings at
least. Perhaps the quality of them might be on the low side at first,
improving with time, experience and additional support...plus I'm sure
there are things I am not considering, but if we continue to throw out
suggestions and do an inventory of what IS already available and what
would be needed, and there is enough support for getting it
done....key....then it can get done. It would be worth it too, I
believe! Just imagine how many of the readers of this list alone will
not be able to make it to the conference but would like to participate.
The availability of podcasts makes secondary participation possible like
never before.

My proposal would be to just figure out, based on the session type
(roundtable discussion, keynote, panel discussion, etc) and the
configuration of the room and whether or not audience will participate,
where best to set up one or maximum two good microphones tied into a
simple audio recorder. One for each room where sessions will be held.
Then at the beginning of the session, hit record, and at the end, hit
stop. Mini-DV recorders would work great for this, and these days they
are very cheap and of pretty damn high quality. They're durable too.

Once the archives have been collected, send out a notice to this mailing
list, and ask for volunteer editors. Pass them on the originals, with
any additional audio you'd like to see added in for consistency
(intro's, sponsor notices, etc.) then have them send you back the edited
copy. OR if there are no volunteers, then just archive the audio AS-IS.
Personally, I would prefer to have the audio un-cut and a bit ugly than
not have it at all. So if one of the barriers to making the recordings
is post-production editing, then well, knock that off the show-stopper
list and push it out to the community anyway. I would guarantee though
that there would be at least a few interested parties. Anyway, it's only
once per year, and there aren't hundreds of sessions or anything. This
community is full of volunteer spirited individuals I believe, we could
get it done.

-Chris (long-time lurker who speaks only when I think I have something
valuable to say, and silent participant reader and critic when I do not :-)