[Air-l] Textbook Advice

Ted M Coopman coopman at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 10 11:07:26 PDT 2007

Hello All,

I am picking up a class at a California State U campus and would appreciate some textbook suggestions. It is an evening lecture course that meets once a week with 40 students (semester system). It is a required course. The CSU student population tends to be diverse and often older (average mid-to-late 20s). Ideally, I would like something that integrates new and old media. The program is in Radio, Television, Film, and Theatre and regularly uses web-based technologies (WebCT).

Here is the catalog description:

Media Theory and Research
Theories of audience behavior and analysis of current social research on mass media. Emphasis on interplay between telecommunications media and interpersonal communication, especially uses and effects of media involving peer groups,
minorities, children and families.

Prereq's are Broadcast Communications (industry/regulations/technology) and Electronic Media and Culture.

Any suggestions on road-tested text(s) or approaches/assignments would be great. They are looking to do something different.

Thanks,

-TED

Ted M. Coopman
Department of Communication