[Air-l] audio/video at IR conferences

Richard Smith smith at sfu.ca
Sun Jul 1 20:02:12 PDT 2007

e,

If we decide to go this route, then I will use my laptop - I lecture
regularly in the room we're using for the plenaries - and the
"ProfCast" application (highly recommended if you are using a Mac, by
the way).

I will "encourage" the presenters to give me their slides beforehand
and I have an arrangement with the a/v folks in the building to give
me a "line out" feed from the "house" audio so that the wireless
lapel mic comes in to the laptop. The result is very pleasing.

That, coupled with a few snaps of the speaker from the audience,
would be much preferable to a long video and you get an "enhanced"
quicktime version of the slides in which the audio is synced.

The cost is zero, and the result is most pleasing. I'd be happy to
show anyone who has a Mac laptop how to do this, as it is an
excellent way to record your lectures. I did this, actually, in my
talk at AoIR7 in Brisbane - and actually did the "podcast" while I
was talking.

....r